ABOUT LIBERTY HILL RANCH, LLC
Welcome to the LIBERTY HILL RANCH, LLC! We are a Centennial Family Farm in central Georgia offering a broad variety of outdoor activities, products, and services to our friends and neighbors. This farm has been in my family for 5 generations spanning more than 100 years. We have over 200 acres of pastures, woodlands, ponds, streams, and trails to explore and enjoy.
We have all the amenities you might need to host any type of outdoor get-together from birthday parties, to family reunions, to corporate picnics. We can accommodate parties from just a handful of individuals up to groups of 5,000 or more.
As a working farm, we produce a number of agricultural products. Aside from the horse racing, training and stable facilities, we also have a commercial apiary and honey production facility. We also raise Coturnix quail for meat and eggs, and we have nearly 2,000 pecan trees we manage for pecan production. Check out the rest of this website, as well as our other webpages and social media sites for updates and more information about all of the exciting things going on at Liberty Hill Ranch!
A Little History...
The Liberty Hill community was settled in 1837. In 1840, T.S.M. Bloodworth settled in this area. Bloodworth established a mercantile business, a blacksmith shop, a wood shop, a large tannery, a cobbler shop, and a grist mill. In 1845, Mr. Bloodworth built his home at the current location along what was then the Georgia-Alabama stagecoach line. The home is a plain, plantation-style house with two over two rooms, two shed rooms on the rear, and a second story veranda across the front of the dwelling, above the front porch. The “store building” directly across the road from the house was built immediately following the construction of the house. The store building served as a general store as well as a “stand” on the stage coach line between Augusta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama. Travelers would rest and eat at the store while fresh horses were hitched to the stage coaches. Both the original home and store building are still standing. The Bloodworth family owned and operated the property until 1913.
In December of 1913, Arthur H. English Sr. (locally known as “Pink” English), purchased the property from Rolfe Bloodworth for the sum of $8,500.00. Shortly thereafter, Pink erected the large, lofted barn which still sits behind the house. After the purchase of the initial 271 ½ acres from the Bloodworths in 1913, Pink continued to acquire additional adjacent parcels over subsequent years. Ultimately, Pink expanded his farm to approximately 750 acres. Pink terraced much of the land he acquired to prevent erosion shortly after acquiring each property. The primary crops produced during Pink’s day were tobacco, cotton, and pecans. Pink kept a wide variety of livestock on the property as well. Pink owned and managed the farm until his death in 1953.
Upon Pink’s death, his son, Arthur H. English Jr. (locally known as “Brutz” English), inherited and took over management of the property. Over the years, as the resident help began to leave the property for better opportunities in nearby cities, Brutz transitioned the principle farming operations from row-cropping to cattle production. Fields were converted and expanded into pasture suitable for grazing, and extensive fencing was installed around and throughout the property. Pecan production continued to remain an annual source of revenue for the farm throughout Brutz’s tenure. In 1955, an eight acre pond was dug on the south end of the property. In 1966, Brutz deeded the original 271 ½ acre tract to his son, Arthur H. English III. Brutz retained the remainder of the farm property and managed it all until his death in 1975.
Upon Brutz’s death in 1975, his son, Arthur H. English III, inherited approximately 259 acres of the remainder of the family farm property, bringing his total holdings to approximately 530 acres. Like his father before him, Arthur embraced cattle production. Arthur further improved and expanded the cattle operations, clearing and improving additional pasture, installing corrals and watering stations, and constantly maintaining and expanding the extensive cross-fencing throughout the property. Pecan production continued to remain an annual source of revenue for the farm throughout Arthur’s tenure, though as the orchard advance in age, annual production became increasingly less consistent. In 2004, Arthur added his son, Arthur H. English IV (locally known as “Brutz”), to the farm deeds. Arthur continued to manage the farm until well into his 80’s and remained an owner until his death in 2017.
In 2012, Arthur H. English IV (locally known as “Brutz”), took over the management of the family farm. Brutz renovated the old home place and barn. Brutz began keeping honeybees in 2009, and in 2013 he established a commercial apiary and honey house on the property. Brutz built a quarter-mile, six-lane horse racing track on the property in 2014. Brutz set out over 2,000 new pecan seedlings in 2015 and 2016. Under Brutz’s management the farming operations continue to grow and expand.
A.H. English Sr. A.H. English Jr. A.H. English III A.H. English IV
"Pink" "Brutz" "Brutz"